A cold storage room is the perfect way to store your food. The cold storage room keeps fresh and frozen foods at the perfect temperature. Fresh fruits and vegetables can actually last longer when stored in a cold storage room, as opposed to a traditional refrigerator. Your business can save hundreds of dollars annually by utilizing a cold storage room to make your food last longer, which minimizes the amount of food waste.
Much like anything else, a cold storage room will begin to experience some wear and tear from use over time. You will be faced with deciding whether it is best to upgrade your unit or to replace it entirely. To help you determine the best course of action, here’s a closer look at some of the most common cold storage room issues:
- Broken seals: A cold storage room relies on maintaining the right temperature to keep food fresh. Damaged seals on the door allow the cool air to leak out and the warm outside air to seep in. The unit then has to work extra hard to reach the optimal temperature. Luckily, you don’t need to replace your entire unit. Just replace the broken seal with a new one to solve the problem. This can be tricky, so it might be best to contact a professional for commercial refrigeration repair in Eugene, OR
- Not enough space: Has your cold storage room felt a bit cramped lately? Do you struggle to find enough space on the shelves for a box of fresh apples? Your space needs can change over time. If that’s the case, it’s time to upgrade to a larger version.
- Too old: The lifespan of a cold storage room can vary based on the unit. Typically, you can expect it to last anywhere from 10 to 20 years. After that, it is likely too old to operate very efficiently. If you haven’t already, you’ll soon be faced with steep repair costs—or worse, in the form of total equipment failure. It’s best to replace it with a newer model before any major problems arise.
- Unable to maintain a consistent temperature: Maintaining the perfect temperature is crucial when it comes to cold storage rooms. A too-high temperature can cause the food to spoil quickly, while one that’s too cold can result in freezing. Contact a professional for repairs if the expected temperature is notably different from the one on the thermostat.
- Broken cold room pump: The cold room pump removes wasted heat from the room to keep it consistently cool. A change in power consumption, pressure differences or capacity could indicate a major problem with the pump. Most of these issues can easily be fixed by professional repair specialists.
Remember that all repairs should only be completed by a qualified and certified professional experienced with cold storage rooms and commercial refrigeration repair in Eugene, OR. The professional team at American Refrigeration Inc. is here to help you regardless of whether you’re ready to repair or upgrade your cold storage room. Contact us today!