You might not realize it, but the ice machine is the backbone of many restaurants, grocery stores and convenience stores. Your business likely could not maintain its day-to-day operations without the ice machine working around the clock. It’s crucial for distributing, preparing and storing the items on your menu or sold in your store. Because of this, it is critical that the ice machine is always reliably functioning. A broken ice machine could even force you to shut down your business for the day while you wait for ice machine repair in Eugene, OR. Proper maintenance is key to keeping it operating for years to come.
Follow these five simple steps to keep your ice machine working great:
- Clean and sanitize bi-annually: All commercial ice machines need to be emptied and cleaned at least twice a year. Additional cleanings should also be performed during high usage periods. A nickel-safe scale remover can be used to clean the machine prior to sanitizing. Not sure how to go about cleaning your specific make or model of commercial ice machine? Consult the owner’s manual or a repair specialist for more specific instructions tailored to your individual unit.
- Clean and replace the air filters: Most ice machines have an air filter that will also need to be cleaned and replaced regularly. Over time, the filter will become clogged with dirt and debris that will cause the ice machine’s efficiency to drop, as it is unable to take in the needed amount of air to cool. These pollutants could also contaminate the ice. Repair specialists recommend replacing reusable filters approximately every six months to prevent clogging.
- Replace the water filters: Water filters remove any impurities from the water so the ice created by the machine can taste pure and clean. A dirty water filter can cause the ice to have a metallic or other unfavorable taste. It also works to filter out any sediment and unwanted minerals that could lead to clogs and deposits in the machine. The water filter needs to be replaced every six month to ensure it is operating its best throughout the year.
- Watch out for corrosion and leaks: This step is relatively simple, but incredibly important. Look inside the machine for any noticeable corrosion on the electrical connections and for leaks near the water lines. If you spot anything amiss, contact a professional to arrange for ice machine repair in Eugene, OR as soon as possible.
- Schedule regular service: Quality maintenance by a trained and experienced professional is the key to keeping a commercial ice machine functioning reliably for years to come. Most ice machine manufacturers recommend having your machine serviced annually by a specialist. During this service, they will be able to tune up your equipment and take the necessary steps to fix any issues before they turn into major problems. You’ll have the peace of mind that comes with knowing your machine is safe from any unexpected breakdowns.
Contact American Refrigeration Inc. today to schedule a tune-up or make an appointment for ice machine repair in Eugene, OR.