Reducing the energy costs of commercial refrigeration in Eugene, OR can benefit everyone. If you’re the owner of a business that’s reliant on refrigeration, such as a restaurant or a grocery store, saving money on refrigeration equipment can actually represent pretty significant savings.
By following even just one of these tips, you’ll save money on the energy costs associated with your refrigeration equipment—and they’ll save you even more money when you combine them:
- Maintain your machine: Keep its evaporator and condenser coils cleaned. Keep doors to your refrigerators maintained so that, when the doors are closed, they maintain a good seal.
- Upgrade your machines: Add liquid pressure amplifiers to increase your system’s overall refrigeration capacity; floating head pressure controls which allow your systems to vary their more easily without wasting energy; upgrade to higher-efficiency fan motors and compressor systems, which can save you 15 percent on your commercial refrigeration costs; and upgrade your machine’s lighting fixtures to energy-efficient bulbs, which can actually save you as much as 10 percent, especially in reach-ins.
- If possible, turn off door heaters: Just doing this can save a small restaurant $75 a year, and a grocery store much more. If your doors begin to get ice and frost buildup, and this is not caused by some problem with the door’s seal, turn the heaters back on and leave them on.
- Insulate lines: Insulate your suction line, so your refrigerant loses less cool and absorbs less heat as it is moved from the evaporator. This is a very affordable way of adding additional efficiency to your machines.
- Check refrigerant: If there is not enough refrigerant, your compressor is working overtime, which is costing you money. Look through the sight-glass window built into the condenser where you can see the refrigerant line. If it is insufficiently full, you’ll see bubbles in the line when the refrigerant is moving. If this is the case, call an HVAC contractor or refrigeration expert.
- Purchase new equipment: Obviously we’d all prefer to just maintain the machines we have rather than make an investment in new equipment. But if you upgrade to Energy Star certified commercial refrigeration equipment, you’ll save 30 percent on your refrigeration costs, right away. For business that are heavily reliant on refrigeration equipment, this can represent enormous year over year savings—especially if your current equipment is on the way out, getting less and less efficient each year. The cost of new equipment can often be offset by rebates and vouchers, so it’s worth discussing these things with your refrigeration equipment retailer.
If you’re looking for new commercial refrigeration in Eugene, OR, or are simply looking for guidance on getting the most out of your current refrigeration equipment, give us a call here at American Refrigeration Inc. We have more than two decades of experience specializing in commercial refrigeration, HVAC and AC and heating repair. We’re well known for going the extra mile for our customers, and for providing the best service and the best products at the best prices. Call American Refrigeration Inc. today.