As a restaurateur, professional chef or someone who’s ever worked in a kitchen, you know how important the kitchen’s walk in cooler is. Without a properly running commercial cooler, food will spoil. If spoiled food ends up being served, it could make customers sick; if spoiled food is thrown out, it’s just a waste of money. The only way to ensure that commercial walk in coolers in Eugene, OR are always up and running is by keeping them maintained at all times. Here are just a few ways to do so:
- Clean the cooler on a regular basis: A kitchen’s countertops, cutlery, ovens, stoves and other appliances need to be spotless; the same holds true for a kitchen’s walk in cooler. Meat, especially chicken, is teeming with bacteria. You can’t risk having that bacteria build up in your walk in cooler and contaminating the rest of your cold food. Harsh cleaning chemicals can damage the cooler’s metal surfaces, so soap and water are the best things to clean with. Also, be sure to mop up any spills or excess water before the puddles freeze and cause slip and fall accidents.
- Remove the food once a year food for cleaning: One day each year, you’ll need to spend some time after the restaurant closes and take out all of the food from the freezer. During this time, you can inspect all of the coils to make sure they’re working correctly. More importantly, wash the whole cooler out with a hose.
- Check the door: Commercial walk in coolers in Eugene, OR get a lot of use. Cooks and kitchen staff are in and out of the walk in cooler all day long. Since the doors are always opening and closing, the hinges tend to wear down faster than a normal door. It’s recommended that the hinges be oiled several times a year by a staff member or by a professional. You should never leave the kitchen door open for extended periods of time, either. While keeping the door propped open can be more convenient, it will waste energy and can cause food to go bad more quickly.
- Monitor the temperature daily: A walk in cooler needs to stay at the same temperature day in and day out. Fluctuations, even if they’re small, can spoil the food and be an indication of a bigger problem. Call a technician as soon as you notice that you’re not getting consistent readings.
- Hire a professional: The easiest way to ensure that commercial walk in coolers in Eugene, OR always function correctly is by hiring one of our technicians. One of our knowledgeable professionals will gladly inspect your cooler and can fix any current or potential problem that he sees. We’re trained in working with any brand and size of cooler, so there’s no job too big or too small for us to handle.
If you happen to run into any sort of issue with your walk in cooler, our trained technicians are available for repairs and inspections. Give American Refrigeration Inc. a call as soon as you find a problem!