Your HVAC system heats and cools your house all year long and can use as much as two-thirds of the energy in your home. Proper HVAC maintenance in Eugene, OR can prolong the life of your system and increase its efficiency, which lowers energy costs in your home. In fact, keeping your system clean and efficient can help you save over 20 percent on energy costs. Avoid major repairs or problems and keep your energy bills low with these maintenance tips:
- Seasonal maintenance: Many people schedule annual maintenance appointment for their HVAC systems, but you should actually have it looked at twice a year: once before the cooling season and once before the heating season. Cooling-only systems can be looked at once in the spring, and furnaces will only need to be checked in the fall.
- Change air filters: Air filters should be changed often, about once a month. Dirty filters can block the cooling and heating systems, leading to damaged equipment and even system failure. If you don’t want to change your filters quite that often, you should at least inspect them for buildup and clean them as needed.
- Insulate your home: A properly insulated home will require less energy expenditure on keeping it cool or warm. Weather-strip your windows and doors and ensure that your attic is properly insulated as well.
- Clean vents: You will also want to clean your vents and registers during your annual or seasonal HVAC maintenance in Eugene, OR. Helping keep vents clean will allow air to circulate efficiently and effectively, which will decrease energy costs and keep the system running smoothly.
- Keep HVAC area clear: Buildup around the HVAC system itself can also cause problems, such as overheating. Check the area around your system for a buildup of debris. Often, overgrown plants can creep into the HVAC area and impede airflow and circulation, so trim plants away from the system as well.
- Clean coils: Evaporator and condenser coils are also in need of regular cleaning. A dirty condenser coil can raise energy consumption by 30 percent. These should be cleaned annually or seasonally during your routine HVAC maintenance in Eugene, OR.
- Programmable thermostat: Another great way to reduce your energy costs is to install a programmable thermostat. These thermostats can be programmed to automatically change the temperature based on scheduled times, such as while you’re away at work or while you’re sleeping. Programming thermostats to keep the home at less comfortable temperatures when you’re not there to enjoy them can save you 10 percent on your energy bills.
- Replace your system: Old HVAC systems do need to be replaced eventually, usually if your system is older than 10 years and running into more frequent trouble. Operating an old system means you’re not running as efficiently as you could be and likely paying too much for cooling and heating costs.
If you’re in need of HVAC maintenance in Eugene, OR, reach out to American Refrigeration Inc. Since 1995, we’ve been proud to provide comprehensive HVAC services to keep your system operating at optimum levels of performance and efficiency. Find out more about our services and get a complimentary quote and consultation by giving us a call today.