Though they’re a necessary component of many businesses, commercial freezers can use up a lot of electricity each month. This is partially due to their large size and the fact that they need to be set to a consistently low temperature to keep food safe.
However, newer freezers with an Energy Star rating have a much lower operating cost than their older predecessors. In fact, depending on the model year of your current commercial freezer, you could save 20 percent on your monthly energy bill by upgrading to an Energy Star certified freezer.
Ways to make your current freezer more energy efficient
The good news is that you don’t have to spend thousands of dollars on a new commercial freezer to make yours more energy efficient. Follow these tips to see some savings each month:
- Replace the rubber door seals: The door seals are called gaskets, and they’re designed to keep cold air in while the door is closed. The gaskets start to fall apart over time, leading to cold air escaping and higher energy bills. Keep an eye on them, and replace them when they start to look tattered.
- Keep the doors closed: Most parents have had conversations with their kids about keeping the refrigerator and freezer doors closed. This also goes for commercial freezers! Unless you’re grabbing something from the freezer, keep it closed to avoid wasting energy.
- Schedule professional maintenance: The best way to reduce your energy costs and prevent breakdowns is by scheduling yearly professional maintenance. These maintenance calls will ensure your freezer is running as it should and can help avoid wasting energy.
Is it time to upgrade your freezer?
A commercial freezer can last up to 20 years before it needs to be replaced, but your freezer might present some signs that it’s time to replace it before that two-decade mark. Here are a few indicators that you should buy a new one:
- Your energy bill is sky-high: If your energy bill creeps a bit higher each month, there’s a good chance that your freezer is about to kick the bucket. While Energy Star appliances aren’t always cheap, they’ll pay for themselves in the coming years.
- Breakdowns are frequent: A commercial freezer can stop working from time to time, which can mean trouble for your business. If you find yourself frequently calling the repairman, cut your losses and invest in an Energy Star freezer.
- The food is spoiling: You’ve got a problem when the food inside your freezer or fridge starts to spoil faster than it should. Not only is this a safety hazard, but it also means that you need a new unit. Ensure you stay out of trouble with the health department by replacing your freezer today.
What can our team do for you?
Whether you need to buy a new freezer, get it repaired or have it maintained, American Refrigeration Inc is the only team you need. We offer an array of services for commercial freezers that ensure your business is always running its best.